I grew up in Wageningen. When I was finished with secondary school I wanted to go to university, but I had no idea what I wanted to study. I really liked chemistry experiments, but I did not want to study chemistry, so I went to a lot of open days at universities and I went looking for a study with many chemistry tests. I found several studies, but I decided to study nutrition, unfortunately it turned out that I could only study it in Wageningen. That is a very nice city, but I found it too boring to stay in my hometown, and I am allergic to boring.
Fortunately, I managed to get a scholarship to study in America, so when I was seventeen I moved to the US on my own. After 4 years I graduated, and then I decided to go on a world trip. I went to London, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Eritrea and Ethiopia.
There I lifted and then I was in a truck. Unfortunately, the truck was attacked by robbers and they threw in a hand grenade. I have had a brain haemorrhage because of shrapnel in my brain and I have been in a coma for two weeks. And now I am completely paralyzed from the left, but traveling is still my passion and I am still world champion in enjoying life.
- I was born in 1972
- in 1990 I moved to the US to West Virginia university
- I graduated in 1994 and went on a world trip
- my accident happened in 1995
- in 1996 I organized a reunion of third grade high school
- in 1997 I went on a Easter weekend with my 3 best Dutch friends to London
- in 1998 I was the first wheelchair user ever to join Lingo on television and I moved to Het Dorp, where I still live today
- in 1999 I went on holiday no less than 5 times
- I found a special year in 2000, so that year I wanted to do something special so I organized a reunion at ISA (= international student association) at my university in America.
- 2001 my memory doesn't work so good, because of my brain damage, so then I started typing all my life memories into the computer to store it forever. There were many people who wanted to read my story
- 2002 applied for a subsidy at the Friends of Het Dorp foundation to self-publish my autobiography. Luckily i received it.
- 2003 self-published my autobiography with the title I love to live
- 2004 my book was already sold out
- In 2005 I translated my book into English myself
- In 2006 I organized a disabled trip to Egypt in cooperation with travel agency saharatravel
- In 2007 I traveled thirteen times
- In 2008 I organized a disabled trip to Libya with saharatravel, but unfortunately I could not participate myself, because I was with Pia in Gambia
- 2009 saharatravel and I organized disabled trips to Morocco and Algeria and with Pia I traveled to Java
- In 2010 I organized a reunion of ISA
- 2011 I employed a company in America that edited my English book
- 2012 I love to live was published in English and because of the fifty years jubilee of Het Dorp, Matchpoint was started and Karin Bruers became my volunteer for making the documentary love to live
- 2013 founded the love to live committee in Wageningen to organize fundraisers to collect money for making that documentary
- 2014 organized a fundraising buffet with the love to live committee and social sofas started in Wageningen
- 2015 art auction held, film recordings made and at the end of the year the premiere of love to live and there is a renewed and updated version of I love to live released
- 2016 love to live screened at the support fair and at various schools and at the support fair i held a pitch for the educational program of my documentary at the Dela charity fund and I earned a thousand euros for the educational program
- 2017 backpacked with a friend in Gambia and organized a reunion of second-class secondary school